Ofsted letter to parents/carers
18th May 2016
Re: Short Inspection of Saint George Catholic Voluntary Aided College Southampton
As you are aware, the College had a visit from Ofsted on the 26th April 2016. The letter recording the visit and findings has now been published and is available on both the College and Ofsted websites.
I am delighted to report that the College has continued to improve since the previous Ofsted Inspection in 2011 and remains good with many outstanding features.
Carrying forward from 2011, the outstanding features are:
1. The effectiveness of care, guidance and support
2. The extent to which pupils feel safe
3. The extent of pupils’ spiritual, moral, social and cultural development
4. The effectiveness of the school’s engagement with parents and carers
5. The extent to which pupils contribute to the school and wider community
The 2016 report makes it clear that the school has moved on from 2011 with a “strong team who zealously strive towards outstanding education in the future. The school community is flourishing with a rising roll because of the clear vision and leadership that you and your senior team provide.”
The report highlights further strengths as:
· Quality of leadership and management across the College
· Dedicated and high quality Governance
· Teachers have high expectations and use their good subject knowledge to design stimulating lessons
· Attendance is well above national/Southampton average
· High performance in GCSE examinations is well above the national average in most subjects
· Humanities subjects are in the top 1% nationally
· Maths is in the top 5% nationally
· The Trinity resource (provision to support vulnerable students) is well led and valued by students
· Leaders are passionate about wanting the best for every pupil and relationships between staff and pupils are particularly strong
· Behaviour is very good – pupils are polite, friendly and conduct themselves very well in lessons and around the school
The inspection team was in no doubt that the College is on a journey to being outstanding in the near future.
To achieve this we will continue to work on:
· Ensuring consistently high expectations, pace and challenge are maintained throughout the school in all lessons
· A more thorough evaluation of pupil progress information which prioritises the most effective strategies to support disadvantaged pupils and those with special educational needs or disability in all year groups
Thank you for your continued support and determination.